This committee plans the biennial Expo for Transitioning Youth to be held next on Saturday, March 10, 2012 at the Bel Air High School. The committee also plans and participates in other community education programs and projects on disability-related issues.
This subcommittee's focus is on promoting a fully accessible community.
Accessible Parking Subcommittee
In addition to the annual Disabled Parking Awareness Campaign at the holiday season, on July 6, 2011, members of the Harford County Sheriff's Office and agents of the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration conducted a detail targeting handicapped parking violations. The detail took place in parking lots of retail establishment in the Edgewood and Joppa areas of Harford County. The detail yielded the following results:
- 39 drivers approached/stopped
- 6 MD Uniform citations for handicapped parking violations
- 2 MD Uniform citations for driving suspended
- 2 Harford County citations issued
- 7 handicapped parking placards seized as a result of misuse
- 1 Arrest Warrant from Baltimore City Police Department
Waiver Request Review Subcommittee
This subcommittee reviews, in partnership with the Harford County Department of Inspections, Licenses and Permits, Requests for Waiver of the Maryland Accessibility Code. Meets on an as-needed basis.
Accessible County Facilities
This committee monitors accessibility upgrades made to county facilities and makes recommendations for accessibility improvements.
Government and Community Relations Committee
The committee addresses the following through subcommittees:
- Legislation reviews, monitors and supports disability-related legislation and programs which benefit citizens with disabilities. During the legislative session, the Commission's Legislative Guide provides information about bills before the Maryland General Assembly and provides access to wide variety of positions expressed by advocacy organizations.
- Webpage develops features for the Commission's web page; updates the monthly spotlight on a community service for individuals with disabilities; updates web links; and evaluates web page effectiveness.
- Voice of the Disability Community communicates on disability-related issues to the local press; represents the Commission on the inter-agency Summer Youth Employment Program; and promotes participation in the Maryland Youth Leadership Forum. Commission members also sit on the Harford County Transportation Steering Committee which developed You Can Ride...Harford Transit (PDF), a travel-training booklet. The Commission is also a member of the Maryland Alliance of Local Commissions and Committees on Disabilities.
- Advocacy and Outreach contacts elected officials and attends public meetings.
- The Employment Committee plans the Commission's annual awards ceremony celebrating National Disability Employment Awareness Month each October was held on October 20, 2011 at the Maryland Golf and Country Clubs.
- The Membership Committee recruits, screens, interviews, and recommends candidates for Commission membership and associate membership. The Commission has no current vacancies, but may consider applications for Associate Membership. For more information and an application, contact Disabilities Coordinator Rachel Harbin at 410-638-3373 voice/TTY or via email.
Accessible Ramps Program
This Community Development Block Grant-funded program provides ramps for low-income homeowners and renters with disabilities. Working with Habitat for Humanity Susquehanna , the Commission works to improve accessibility one home at a time. For more information, call 410-638-4434.